15.11.07

Solty Rei is the shit



I ABSOLUTELY AM IN LOVE WITH THIS SERIES. Many of you know that I am nearly 100% against anything that Disney does and hate that America treats animation as if it's for kids only. I'm sick to death of talking animals and fuzzy moralistic nonsense. I've been a fan of Anime ever since I was a kid. I remember watching Astro boy, Marine Boy, Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets (aka Gotchamon) and Star Blazers (the wave motion gun is THE best weapon of all time). I would rather watch these shows than Bugs Bunny or Tom and Jerry. Why? BECAUSE THEY HAD PEOPLE doing really cool PEOPLE things. I've never been the biggest Manga fan tho. I really do prefer American comics. Even though American comics have so many of their own issues. I don't know where to start. It's obsession with super heroes is just way too limiting. But I feel the artwork in American comics are... well... just better. And more diverse. ANYWAY, I digress.... ANIME has always been a source of inspiration simply because the Japanese deal with characters and themes in comics/Anime that are just wicked cool. Solty Rei reminds me a lot of Trigun mixed with Leon The Professional. This mix of extreme innocence and maturity represented by the two main characters is very effective. Your first impression may be to write it off. Admittedly the animation is not Ghost in the Shell or Animatrix standards. It's not even Samurai Shamploo, and once you get past that, you have to deal with Solty herself. I can see how most people will scratch their heads and ask, "What the hell IS this?" but if you stick with it for a few episodes.... It's absolutely infectious. Because Solty's innocence is so disarming you immediately write it off as a kids show, and that's exactly what they want you to do. Because this show is as Cyber Punk as they come.

No comments: